Join me for a NRRTS Webinar ~ Home Accessibility
April 19th, 2012 from 5 – 7pm eastern time
Name of Speaker(s): Cindi Petito, OTR/L, ATP, CAPS
Session Title: Home Accessibility: From the Front Door to the Upstairs Bath
Hour One: This session will review the different design concepts including “Universal Design”, “Inclusive Design”, and how they differ from ADA Guidelines. There are 7 Universal Design principles that should be incorporated into the HM recommendations to prevent “minimal compliance” practice. This session will review measuring the client and environment for HM recommendations for wheelchair accessibility. Products and design ideas will be given for entryways, bathrooms, and between levels of the home.
Hour Two: There are several members of the team throughout the HM services delivery model. An individual’s daily routine, their culture and roles, physical limitations, and functional demands within their environment must be understood before making HM recommendations. Once a HM evaluation is completed, members of the HM team develop a client-centered design that incorporates products and sources to achieve functional outcomes to meet individual needs.
1. Participants will be able to identify professionals involved in the home modifications services delivery process.
2. Understand the different home modifications design concepts and how they differ from ADA (Americans for Disabilities Act).
3. Participants will be able to list 3 potential modifications to the home entryway for wheelchair accessibility.
4. Participants will be able to list 3 potential bathroom modifications for wheelchair accessibility.
5. Participants will be able to list 3 potential modifications to the provide client access in multi-level homes.
Speaker Qualifications (brief bio):
Cindi Petito is an occupational therapist, who owns Seating Solutions/LOTTUS Designs, a private outpatient practice that focuses on the area of wheeled mobility, complex seating, assistive technologies and home modifications. She is a certified Assistive Technology Professional and a member of RESNA. Cindi is a Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist and currently works as a vendor for the State of Florida’s Brain & Spinal Cord Injury Program completing home modification evaluations and recommendations for newly injured and disabled individuals. She is an active member of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) and the Florida Occupational Therapy Association (FOTA). As an advocate, she is an active member of the Clinician’s Task Force and currently involved with projects with AOTA to support the Proposal for a Separate Benefit Category for Complex Rehab Technology.
To Register, please click here:
||04-19-2012, Home Accessibility Including From the Front Door to the Upstairs Bath||